Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Just say snow

I did not want to get out of bed this morning. I laid sunken in underneath a sea of blankets and fluffy down comforter, as every curve of my body was being embraced by my heavenly queen size bed urging me to sleep just 5 minutes more. Well, it worked. About 5 times over. I lost count of how many times I hit the snooze button.

Getting out of bed when it's cold out is the worst. Especially if you're not keen to wearing much of anything for PJs-- which thanks to my college roomie who introduced me to nighties and sleeping commando, let's just say it makes for cold mornings. Miserably cold. I don't know about you, but the first thing I usually do when I get up in the morning is go to the bathroom. Something about the cold air hitting me makes me have to pee. And yet, when I finally sit down to relieve this sudden urge to tinkle brought on by the chill, I can't! Have you ever had that happen!? It's horrible! It's as if my pee is saying, "oh no! i'm not coming out there! it's too cold!" Smart pee.

But seriously. It's miserably, bitterly cold. I wouldn't mind it so much if it was snowing. I pray we get a lot this year. I'd even be up for getting as much snow as we did last year. (I'm sure when we finally get snow and I'll have spent hours shoveling our corner lot and digging out my car, I'll regret saying that).

There's just something so magical about snow. It's so pure. Innocent. Cleansing. Maybe it's just the Jesus lover in me. (Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe; sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow). Snow naturally brings people together.

Children build snowmen with their parents. Kids engage in snowball fights. Laughter fills the air as children wrapped in layers, and barely able to bend at the waist, sled down hills they eagerly climb back up time and time again to do it all over again. Red rosy cheeks, mittens, and snow boots enter every household leaving puddles at doorways. Hot chocolate and homemade chocolate chip cookies provide an instant warm-up before the kids suit up for round two. Or three. Or four.

Snow makes the world seem to slow down. It helps me remember the things I'm thankful for. The simple things. Like laughter. And family. It helps me be in the moment. To forget all about the e-mails, facebook, twitter, texting or other unimportant things that seem to consume my life on a daily basis. So I encourage you to take a snow day. Make a snowman. Have a snowball fight. Help an elderly neighbor dig out their car. Go sledding. Have a cup of hot coco. Sit by the fire. Curl up on the couch and read that book you've been wanting to read for months and just haven't gotten around to. Be thankful.

And pray we get some snow :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment